Summer camp activities & resources  

Summer Camp Resources > Staff > Summer Camp Jobs For Internationals

An Internationals Guide to Getting a job at a US Summer Camp


Dave Goosselink


International applicants face special challenges in getting a job at United States summer camps. This article from a long-time counselor from New Zealand lets you know how to go about the process and what to expect along the way.

Page   1  2  3  4  5  6

So you've decided you want to spend your summer working at a camp in the United States? The first step is to select an camp employment agency to sponsor you. Camp employment agencies are contracted directly by the summer camps to supply them with qualified international staff. Even if you've negotiated your own contract directly with a camp, the US government still requires you to go through an agency for your visa.

Choosing an Agency

The most common agencies are Bunac, Camp America, Camp Counselors USA, and ICCP (YMCA). Despite their advertising, they all offer fairly similar services, ranging from interviewing and selecting candidates, placing you with a camp, plus travel assistance and support while you're in the States.

Most agencies run public meetings in main towns and cities throughout the year, which are a good way of finding out more information about their services, and what you can expect working as a camp counselor.

Comments | | Next

© 2021 All Rights Reserved | Summer Camp Resources